Nnamdi Ebo | NewsBlog

In my NewsBlog Nnamdi Ebo, I provide perspectives on news, events and analysis of unique stories, and I also offer original content, articles and photos; with contributions from some of the best minds.

Nnamdi Ebo | NewsBlog

In my NewsBlog Nnamdi Ebo, I provide perspectives on news, events and analysis of unique stories, and I also offer original content, articles and photos; with contributions from some of the best minds.

Nnamdi Ebo | NewsBlog

In my NewsBlog Nnamdi Ebo, I provide perspectives on news, events and analysis of unique stories, and I also offer original content, articles and photos; with contributions from some of the best minds.

Nnamdi Ebo | NewsBlog

In my NewsBlog Nnamdi Ebo, I provide perspectives on news, events and analysis of unique stories, and I also offer original content, articles and photos; with contributions from some of the best minds.

Nnamdi Ebo | NewsBlog

In my NewsBlog Nnamdi Ebo, I provide perspectives on news, events and analysis of unique stories, and I also offer original content, articles and photos; with contributions from some of the best minds.

 

IGBO QUIT NOTICE: LATEST REPORT

Igbo quit notice: Why we have not arrested Arewa youths — FG; Igbo Quit Notice: Arewa youths can’t fool us with withdrawal of notice — Niger Delta agitators; Igbo Quit Notice: Those behind quit notice must be prosecuted — UN experts . . .

Igbo quit notice: Why we have not arrested Arewa youths — FG

The Federal Government on Tuesday explained why it has not arrested the Coalition of Northern youths for issuing an Igbo Quit Notice, asking the Igbo to vacate the North on or before October 1.

The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN (photobelow) said they did not go after sponsors of the quit notice due to the “security implications.”

AGF . Abubakar Malami

Malami said the federal government resisted pressure to go after leaders of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, after it gave due consideration to “security implications” of arresting them.

However, the AGF said the government would not hesitate to wield the big stick against anyone or group found to have engaged in any form of lawlessness in any part of the country. According to him:

“Government considered the security implications on the issue. Let me state that government is alive to its responsibility and whoever is found wanting will be prosecuted. This administration is determined to provide good governance and promote justice, peace and fairness”. The AGF spoke on the issue shortly after he established an Investigation Unit in the Federal Ministry of Justice, with a mandate to investigate “sensitive and important cases”.

Malami gave the explanation while addressing a press conference in Abuja.

Recall that the Northern youths had recently ordered Igbos resident in the North to vacate the region on October 1.

However, the group had on Thursday last week announced the withdrawal of the quit notice it issued earlier.

Spokesman for the coalition, AbdulAziz Suleiman, said the withdrawal was as a result of series of consultations and pressure from different groups.

Igbo Quit Notice: Arewa youths can’t fool us with withdrawal of notice — Niger Delta agitators

Nnamdi Kanu’s re-arrest laughable — Niger Delta agitators

Niger Delta agitators, on Sunday, described the withdrawal of the Quit Notice issued to the Igbos resident in the North to vacate the northern region by a coalition of northern youth as an attempt to hoodwink Nigerians.

Niger Delta Militants

They said that it was also laughable to announce the withdrawal alongside a call to revoke the bail conditions of the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

Rising from a meeting where they evaluated the developments, the Niger Delta agitators rejected the withdrawal of the notice in its entirety. They also accused the Federal Government and the northern governors of conniving with the Arewa youths in issuing the Igbo quit notice.

In a statement after the meeting, the agitators maintained their earlier stance which demanded the departure of northerners and Yoruba of the South West from the Niger Delta region before October 1, 2017.

Niger Delta Agitators issue own Quit Notice

The Niger Delta agitators who signed the statement are:

General John Duku (Niger Delta Watchdogs and Convener, Coalition of Niger Delta Agitators); General Ekpo Ekpo (Niger Delta Volunteers); General Osarolor Nedam (Niger Delta Warriors); Major-Gen. Henry Okon Etete (Niger Delta Peoples Fighters); Major-Gen. Asukwo Henshaw (Bakassi Freedom Fighters); Major-Gen. Ibinabo Horsfall (Niger Delta Movement for Justice); Major-Gen. Duke Emmanson (Niger Delta Fighters Network); Major-Gen. Inibeghe Adams (Niger Delta Freedom Mandate) and Major-Gen. Ibinabo Tariah (Niger Delta Development Network).

The agitators also insisted that all oil blocks in the coastal area given to a former President, former military heads of state, amongst other personalities should be returned to them.

They also reiterated their resolve to resume attacks on all oil installations from September 10 and warned all onshore and offshore workers to leave the area.

They said:

“The recent gathering of the Arewa Youths in Transcorp Hilton, Abuja to announce the suspension of the quit notice issued to Igbos in the North is one action that glaringly shows that government and security heads from the North were the brains behind the earlier announcement.

It is laughable that the Arewa Youth group thinks it can fool the rest of Nigerians, particularly those of us in the Niger Delta part of Nigeria, by replacing the quit notice with call for the arrest of Nnamdi Kanu.” Today the Federal Government has met-up the demand of the Coalition of Northern Youth Groups by filing a motion in court to revoke Nnamdi Kanu’s bail.”

— Niger Delta agitators

Igbo Quit Notice: Those behind quit notice must be prosecuted — UN experts

United Nations human rights experts have called for the prosecution of those behind the Igbo Quit Notice which was issued by a coalition of Arewa youths in Kaduna – for the Igbo to leave the north by October 1.

The UN experts are: Mutuma Ruteere, special rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance;  Fernand de Varennes, special rapporteur on minority issues, and Anastasia Crickley, chairperson of the committee on the elimination of racial discrimination, described the ultimatum as a “grave concern”.

They also deplored a hate song and audio message being circulated on the internet and on social media targeting the Igbo.

UN Human Rights

According to a statement issued by the UN experts, the Hausa-language audio message urges northerners to destroy the property of Igbo people and kill any Igbo who refuses to leave by October 1, the same date given in the controversial Quit Notice.

“We are gravely concerned about this proliferation of hate messages and incitement to violence against the Igbo and their property, especially considering the previous history of such violence,” they said.

The government must be vigilant, as hate speech and incitement can endanger social cohesion and threaten peace by deepening the existing tensions between Nigeria’s ethnic communities.”

We are deeply concerned that some prominent local leaders and elders have not condemned the ultimatum, hate speech and the perpetrators.

We call on the government, media and civil society representatives, and local and religious leaders, to reject and condemn hate speech and incitement to violence unequivocally and in the strongest possible terms.

This includes the people behind the ultimatum and those responsible for the creation, publication and circulation of the hate song and audio message.”

— UN Experts

It will be recalled that on June 6, in the so-called “Kaduna declaration”, a coalition of Arewa youths called a press conference in the Arewa House in Kaduna where they boldly and unequivocally issued a Quit Notice to the Igbo resident in the north to vacate the region on or before October 1 (the anniversary of Nigeria’s independence in 1960).

However, they later withdrew their Igbo Quit Notice last Thursday August 24, three days after President Muhammad Buhari on Monday August 21, declared in a national broadcast to Nigerians, after returning from his medical vacation to London, that Nigerians were free to live and pursue their business without fear or favor, anywhere in the country.

Meanwhile, sooner than the Arewa youths withdrew their Igbo Quit Notice, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) called their bluff, saying that they were not man enough.

IPOB insisted that withdrawal or no withdrawal, the Igbo should vacate the ‘core north’, insisting that the Arewa youths had perfected plans to commit genocide against the Igbo.

__________________________________________

Nnamdi Ebo